Frequently Asked Questions – Business Owners

Q. What is a WORD Permit?

A. A WORD Permit allows you to legally operate in the District and collect fees for performing the following rentals and/or services: camping, day use, parking for water access, fishing tackle, renting water-oriented recreation equipment on the river /lake, whitewater/fishing guide services, lodging less than 30 consecutive days, boat slip rentals and storage, and more. For more information contact us.

Q. Is it free to get a WORD Permit?

A. Yes! If you are a first time applicant it is free. Submit a WORD application, and read through the policies and procedures. WORD has signs and mesh bags available for you with the Water Laws printed on them if needed by your business. If you have more questions, please stop by our office. We are happy to help!

Q. What is WORD tax?

A. WORD tax is a user fee imposed on visitors of the District, and collected by the individual/ facility performing the services. A tax return is then remitted to WORD by the business/ individual and is due no later than twenty (20) days after the end of each calendar quarter.

Q. What are the fees used for?

A. The fees collected from visitors are used for services such as regular clean up along the river, lake and popular roadways, law enforcement and safety, community education, public health and sanitation, and much more.

Q. When is my Tax Return due?

A. Businesses must file a tax return each quarter. A tax return is due no later than twenty (20) days after the end of each calendar quarter. In the event the 20th falls on a weekend or Federal Holiday with no post service, the return is due (in hand, online, or postmarked) on the following business day.

Q. Do I need to report taxes if I did not make any revenue?

A. Yes. Businesses/ individuals with zero revenue for the reporting period are still required to submit a tax return. If there are no taxes to remit, there is no cost to submit a return online. Late penalties are imposed on all tax returns received after the due date.

Q. What happens if I miss the due date?

A. Returns received or postmarked after the due date will incur a $25 late filing fee PLUS a 5% late penalty if it is before the 20th day of the following month of the taxing reporting period, OR a 10% late penalty if it is after the 20th day of the following month of the taxing reporting period AND the permit is revoked. Once permit is revoked, a $250 reinstatement fee PLUS penalties and interest are due.

Q. If I'm paying Hotel Occupancy Tax in NB, do I need to pay WORD tax too?

A. No. If you are inside the New Braunfel’s city limits you are not in the WORD district, and therefore do not have to remit taxes to WORD. However, if you have multiple properties, and some ARE within the WORD district those properties require a WORD tax.

Q. Am I in the WORD District?

A. Click HERE for a map of the District.

Q. I am no longer a business, how do I close my permit?

A. Send WORD a written request stating that you are no longer collecting revenue, the last day of collected revenue, and that you would like to close the permit with a specific end date. Once all your taxes have been remitted, WORD will close your permit.